SALKANTAY MACHU PICCHU TREK | Sumac Coca Travel
The Cordillera Vilcanota is an impressive range of mountains which include the massive Salkantay snowcapped mountain (6,264 meters) and three others over 6000 meters that you will appreciate while on the Salkantay tour. Salkantay is an outstanding snow peak, located less than fifty miles northwest of the city of Cusco in south central Peru. It is the highest mountain of the Cordillera Vilcabamba. Because of its proximity to the city, it is easily accessible and is climbed frequently. Join us on this incredible Salkantay Trekking Tour to Machupicchu.
Every day tour in group 4:00 – 22:00
Day 01: Cusco – Soraypampa
We will leave Cusco at 04:00 a.m by bus, and drive to Mollepata. It takes approximately 3 hours to Mollepata we will have a breakfast after which are going take a truck until markokasa from where we will hike for about 5 hours to soraypampa where our first lunch spot will be as well our first camp site. along the way we will see many variations of vegetation and small wild birds After lunch we will hike for about 1 hour up to the Umantay lagoon where we will appreciate the nice views of Umantay snow mountain.
Walking distance approximately 10 Km.
Day 02: Soraypampa – Chaullay.
After an early breakfast we start trekking from Soraypampa approx at 6:30 a.m we continue our hike the Peruvian highland. From this point we can appreciate the spectacular views of the Salkantay snow Mountain (6,264 m) the second highest peak in Cusco, white river, small lakes and moraines. Four hours up to the salkantay pass (4650 masl) and then 2 hours down hill to the lunch spot and 4 hours to the second campsite chaullay 2900 masl aproximately. Walking distance approximately 21 Km.
Day 03: Chaullay – Santa Teresa.
Wake up with a lovely mountain scenery and a good morning tea. We will start the trek at 07:00 AM. 5 hours easy, where we will be introduced to a high Jungle called “Ceja de Selva”, we will see different kind of plants, fruits, flowers, birds etc. here banana trees coffee and others can be observed, take amazing pictures, at the end of the day we will see passion fruit farms at the lunch camp in the community named “La Playa “(2400 m.a.s.l). from here we will take a small car by approximately 45 minutes to Santa Teresa town where is the hot spring is (optional hot spring bath) and we will also spend a night here. (B+L+D). Walking distance approximately 15 Km.
Day 04: Santa Teresa – Aguas Calientes.
After our delicious breakfast we start our trek at 8:30 a.m we begin our trek, we follow this uphill trail, from which we will see coffee, banana, passion fruit plantations and a lovely view of the Santa Teresa Valley. We follow along the riverside of Vilcanota River until Hydroelectric, we can observe the back of Machupicchu Santuary, where we have the last lunch with all the staff. From here we will continue walking until we arrive at Aguas Calientes around 4:30 p.m then we will stay in a hostel the last night. Walking distance approximately 10 Km.
Day 05: Aguas Calientes – Machu Picchu.
We are going up to Machupicchu Archaeological site and we will explore the city and enjoy the ancient place where we begin a complete guided tour of the Inca citadel that will take approximately two hours. After the tour you will have time for exploring Machupicchu by yourself or go to Waynapicchu Mountain if you have your ticket. And in the afternoon, if you like, you can visit and relax at the hot springs in Aguas Calientes. From here we take the train back Ollantaytambo at 18:20 hours and bus to Cusco. arrive 22:00
Also this tour is possible to organize in 4 days.vvv
Our Service Includes:
- Transfer from your hotel to bus stop, bus from Cusco to Mollepata. (Trail head).
- Personal tents: 2 people in each 4-people-capacity tent.
- English speaking professional guide (2 guides for groups over 14 people)
- Cook and cooking equipment
- Horsemen and horses (to carry tents, food and cooking equipment + 5kls of luggage per person) days 1 to 3.
- Meals (04B, 04L, 04D + wake up tea)
- Hostel in Aguas Calientes
- Entrance to Machupicchu
- Train ticket from Aguas Calientes to Ollantaytambo (tourism class) 18:20 pm or 21:50 depends availability.
- Transport from Ollantaytambo to Cusco.
Our service does not included:
- Sleeping bag.
- First breakfast
- Lunch on the last day: after the guided tour at Machupicchu, you can enjoy free time. to further visit the ruins and choose to have lunch either in Machupicchu or in Aguas Calientes.
- Optional train from Hydroelectric to Machupicchu town. $ 30.00
- Tips: please beware that our agency staff are paid, so please feel free to tip or not according to your wish.
We advise you to bring:
- A backpack with a change of clothing for the whole period of the trek
- Rain gear (jacket and pants if available) or rain poncho.
- Strong footwear, waterproof trekking boots recommended
- Warm clothes, including jacket, fleeces. Thermal clothing is also recommended, especially for sleeping.
- Sleeping bag (it can be hired at our agency for US$ 20.00 for all the trip)
- Mattress: will be provided by the agency but is to be carried by you
- Flashlight and batteries
- Camera, films and batteries (batteries consume more quickly under cold conditions)
- Hat or cap to protect you from the sun, rain and cold
- Sun block cream, mosquitos repellent.
- After-sun cream or hydrating cream for face and body
- Toilet paper
- Snacks: biscuits, energy bars, chocolate, raw fruits, muesli, etc.
- Optionally: water sterilizing tablets in case you pick up water from streams or rivers along the route.
- Small towel.
- Swimming suit (if you intend to go to the hot springs in Aguas Calientes)
- Cash in soles and/or US$
- Original passport
- Optional: walking sticks / in Machupicchu are not permitted